Vale Press to take UK’s first Speedmaster CX 75 LE-UV

Vale Press will be the first UK printer to take delivery of a Heidelberg Speedmaster CX 75 LE-UV press early 2018.

Stowe: "The CX 75 LE-UV will open up new markets for us"

The four-colour 15,000sph B2 machine, which will be installed at the Willersey-based firm’s site in February, will replace a five-colour Speedmaster SX 74. The business also operates a five-colour Speedmaster XL 75, which it purchased at Drupa last year.

Vale Press managing director Tom Stowe said: “The new press will allow us to do what we’re already doing more easily and more efficiently. It’s got many of the features of the XL 75 but it’s a bit smaller and we like the small footprint while still having the mechanics of the XL 75.

“LE-UV is something we’ve been looking at for a few years. The bulk of our commercial work will now be carried out on the XL 75 while the LE-UV will allow us to run a few more specialist options like heavy boards, greaseproof paper and vinyls on the CX 75, opening up new markets for us.

“Having LE-UV also means we have dry sheets off the end of the press. The LE-UV inks are more expensive but against that we are able to purchase one less printing unit and eliminate the powder and varnish costs. Plus there is no waiting time so we can work and turn or send to finishing fast and without any fear of marking.”

The business owns ten units on the same site totalling around 2,800sqm but the unit that currently houses its XL 75 is being extended to create an adjacent paper store, taking total space to more than 3,000sqm.

This will also allow the firm to install the CX 75 LE-UV next to its XL 75 while its two Suprasetters will also be moved to be adjacent, improving the physical workflow for B2 production.

Vale Press, which has around 40 staff and a turnover of just under £5m, also operates a B3 Speedmaster SX 52, Xerox and Konica Minolta digital printers, a Fujifilm Acuity flatbed and a wide range of finishing kit. Around 70% of the company’s turnover comes from trade work while the remaining 30% comes from fine art and commercial work for small and local businesses.

  • Recommend:
  • Share: facebook
  • twitter